Oh the Speeches you'll write...

So, I have decided that I want to give a speech at my best friends wedding on January.  I have a rough draft, and I'm looking for some advice on it.  (Keep in mind I will be giving the bride and groom a copy of Oh the places you'll go)

Some of you  may not know me,I'm Mandee and Stefanie and I have been best friends for more than half of our lives.  It wasn’t always that way, Stefanie and I actually got off on the wrong foot, I laugh now thinking back on that time, because I cant imagine my life without her.  Stefanie and I have been through some tough times together, and some truly amazing ones.  We have been separated by miles you could walk,  miles you could drive and miles you should fly.  Even an entire ocean once.  And we don’t get to talk every day, or even every week, but I have never had a more dear friend.  When Stefanie asked me to be a part of the start of her new life with Eric I was thrilled I have known Eric for nearly as long as I have known Stefanie.  I could not be more proud then to stand by their side while they enter into a commitment to last a lifetime.

Stefanie is the nicest most genuine person I know.  She will drop everything and help out friends and family in need.  She has an ear to listen, a warm hug to comfort and a shoulder to cry on in both joy and sorrow.  She is the most driven and dedicated person I know.  And has talent to boot!  She has always know what she wanted and never let anything get in her way.  She worked her way through her associates degree, then decided she wanted a bachelors, and now holds a masters degree and makes a living doing what she loves.  The old saying goes, do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.

Stefanie and Eric always hung out in the same circles, it was inevitable that they become friends.  But time and distance changes everything, and we often lose touch with people we were close with.  Years spent away at college and building careers and growing up separated Stephanie and Eric.  Until a few years ago when they got back in touch.  (Oh, the joys of social media!) they started dating not very long after and Stefanie had never been happier. 

Both the bride and groom have wonderful families that will be only enriched by the wonderful bond of love being made today.  I have a small gift for them today, the book of “Oh the places you go.”  The advice written herein is often taken as advice for young people going out into the world.  But can be helpful to anyone, be they single, couple or group, embarking on a new journey.  I leave you with some words from the infallible Dr Seuss.


Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)
Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!

Comments

Popular Posts