What's your stance on Gun Ownership?

So, recent vents have prompted lots of gun related posts etc on my face book feed.  Aaaand I happened to read another blog the other day at XOJane that talked about being a girl gun owner.  And I have thought a lot about my stance on owning a Gun.  Even I am surprised by my answer. 

I am a firm believer in the 2nd amendment y'all. 

As someone with fairly left wing views, I support same-sex marriage, I am pro-choice even though it would never be my choice (Assuming carelessness not traumatic attacks), I try to be green and eat organic when I can.  I *do* have a few more conservative views.  One of them being Gun ownership.  I think that "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"  I know it's crazy NRA rhetoric but it's true. 

A properly cared for empty gun isn't going to hurt anyone.  Unless it's used as a blunt force abject, and guess what folks, that takes a person.  It takes a person to put bullets in a gun and make it a weapon.  It takes a person to point that gun and pull the trigger. 

"What about accidental discharges?" you say?  Well, typically that's a careless gun owner not properly caring for their weapon, or not paying attention to how tightly they have the trigger, or where they are pointing it.  all of those mistakes happen because of people.  You left your gun loaded and unlocked and your kid got it and hurt someone?  Guess whose fault that is?  I'll give you a hint, it's not the guns fault, its careless gun ownership coupled with bad parenting. 

Whats that?  Bad parenting?  That's right folks, especially with all the violence in the media, and I don't even mean movies here, that's usually pretty over the top junk, I'm talking about on the news , stuff that happens in our own backyard, it's more important than ever to ensure that if you have a gun in your home, you prepare your children for it. 

This does not mean teaching them that Guns are bad.  Guns are a tool that if used properly can do lots of wonderful things.  They offer protection, they can help you feed your family, they can provide stress relief, (At the shooting range, or just by cleaning it thoroughly).  We need to teach our children to respect guns and the power they can give a person.  We need to teach them Gun safety, and we need to keep our guns out of their reach. 

I'm not saying "don't teach your kid to shoot".  I was taught to shoot starting at 6 or 7, but I had a healthy respect for guns, and what they could do. What you don't want is for your child to get at a gun unsupervised.  That could spell disaster, especially if you store your gun loaded, (a huge no-no), or keep your ammo and guns in the same exact place.  Let's face it, your kid has probably seen you load your gun, especially if your teaching them to shoot, if they can get the ammo they might be able to load the gun.

After all, is the meat cleaver in my kitchen any less deadly than a gun?  I say not, and we aren't teaching kids to fear knives, all of them, all the time.  We teach them to respect them, and use them properly, and never against another person.  Isn't that the same thing? 

Comments

Popular Posts