Regional Delights!

Let’s face it folks, there are some things that people who don’t originate from your little corner of the earth are just never going to get.  Or will they?
Yesterday, I went to Wawa.  (Right now you are either saying WTH is Wawa?  Or squealing in Joy like me!)  Here is where it gets strange; Wawa is….a Gas Station.  I know, I know, it’s kind of weird.  Here’s the thing, Wawa has an AWESOME interactive sandwich shop.  Interactive you say?  Sandwich you say?  Tell me more!
You walk up to a touch screen kiosk and build your custom sandwich.  You go through all the menus with sauces and toppings and extras and touch exactly what you want.  Some people might incorrectly say, ‘Oh, like subway.’ But Wawa is so much more than subway.  Wawa is an experience.  You can make smoothies and milkshakes and, and , and…. (breathing is hard right now!  I love Wawa!)
Wawa is originally from the north, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey.  And now they are opening stores in FLORIDA!  WOOT!  And sadly, some people just don’t get it. I hope it grows on them!
I had this same experience with Dill Pickle chips.  I enjoy all things vinegary, or made with dill.  Dill Pickles are like my favorite thing ever.  Closely followed by Dill Pickle chips, potato chips, made with dill and vinegar, heeellooooo beautiful!
When I first discovered Dill Pickle Chips nearly 15 years ago, (Ugh saying that makes me feel old!) they were impossible to find.  If you saw some, you snatched them up because who knew when you would see them again.  And now it seems most grocery and convenience stores stock them regularly. 
There are regional things that I totally don’t get myself.  No one is immune, well, maybe Andrew Zimmern, but the average person is bound to have some food or activity that they just don’t quite get. 
This is Andrew Zimmern
Enter Stage Right, Scrapple.  OMG, who would do that to themselves?!  What?!?  People eat that voluntarily?  Are you sure?  Gross. 
For those of you who are unaware Scrapple is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.
Like I said, Gross.
Regional Delights are not only about Food.  There are activities as well.  I am sure there are people who don’t get Muddin’.  Also known as Mudding for those people not from New England.  This is the act of taking your truck, or ATV and intentionally running it through giant mud holes, seeing how fast you can go and basically doing it until you get stuck.  Then comes more fun!  You get out INTO the mud, and push pull and otherwise maneuver your vehicle out of the mud hole, to begin again!
It’s actually quite fun.  I grew up in Maine if you recall so there are quite a few Red-Necky activities I enjoy, even if I don’t regularly participate.
I am sure if I thought real hard and did some research I could come up with even more awesome regional delights, but I will leave that to you!  Tell me about regional delights near you!  Have they become better known like the Dill Pickle Chip? 
Don’t limit yourself to the states! I am sure that worldwide there are a gazillion more regional delights!


Comments

Popular Posts